Constitution Day Teacher Toolkit
Celebrating Constitution Day is fun and easy with our free toolkit, which contains a wide range of resources for families and students of all ages from our 39 nonprofit, nonpartisan partner organizations. Put together a Constitution Day activity at your school, library or home with your families to celebrate the signing of the Constitution on September 17. Don’t forget to share videos and photos on Twitter with #RenewCivics #ConstitutionDay2021.
Second Amendment: D.C. v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago
A new documentary from Annenberg Classroom examines the history of guns and gun ownership in our society from the Revolutionary War to modern times and the complicated debate over what the founders intended when they wrote the Second Amendment. The film is being released in advance of arguments this fall on the most significant Second Amendment case to come before the Supreme Court in more than a decade. New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett focuses on a New York state law that restricts an individual’s right to carry a concealed handgun in public.
For more resources from AnnenbergClassroom.org, go here.
9/11 Lesson Plans and Resources
September 11, 2021, marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the U.S. soil. This curated collection of 9/11 lesson plans, resources, and activities from Share My Lesson gives teachers a variety of options for teaching about 9/11. From examining the events of 9/11, to discussing American values, and connecting 9/11 to the Constitution, this list of resources has several options for teachers to cover the topics surrounding 9/11.
For more resources from Share My Lesson, go here.
- Constituting America: Live stream Constitution Day workshops on Sept. 17. Learn more.
- Core Knowledge Foundation: New U.S. history curriculum for middle school. Learn more.
- C-SPAN Classroom: 2022 StudentCam Competition is open. Learn more.
- Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate: Reservations accepted for in-person or virtual field trips in the fall. Learn more.
- Lou Frey Institute: Webinar on Charters of Freedom kicks off Constitution Day events. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: 2021-22 class schedule is available. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: Free, online teacher workshops available. Learn more.
- NewseumED: Free professional development webinars. Learn more.