From Suffragist Sashes to Antiwar Armbands
In a 19th Amendment video from the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, an unlikely connection is made between two rights activists from different eras. Suffragette Virginia Minor and Vietnam War protester Mary Beth Tinker were separated by 100 years, but their passions came together in the legal history of the nation and of St. Louis, where they each worked through the courts to make social change. Viewers are asked to consider the role of the courts and the extraordinary impact that ordinary people can have on society.
For more resources to celebrate the ratification of the 19th Amendment, go here.
National History Day
“Communication in History: The Key to Understanding” is the theme for National History Day this year. Watch a theme introduction video with Executive Director Cathy Gorn, download the new contest rule book and theme graphic organizer, and find links to the summer webinar series on helping students build strong historical argumentation skills.
In this lesson from Constituting America, students learn about each presidential election and the terms served. They will understand how events in history shaped campaigns, why elections were won and lost, what accomplishments and disappointments each president experienced. Each election and presidential term made its own mark on history.
For more resources from Constituting America, go here.
The Civics Renewal Network welcomes Constituting America as its newest partner. The mission of Constituting America is to educate Americans about the Constitution and the rights and liberties it provides and protects for all of us. It accomplishes that mission through several programs, including its keystone program – the national We the Future Contest for students. Learn more about Constituting America here.
- Bill of Rights Institute: New free digital textbook, “Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness.” Learn more.
- Bill of Rights Institute: In-person seminars across the country this fall. Learn more.
- Constituting America: We the Future contest for teachers and students. Learn more.
- C-SPAN Classroom: Free Zoom sessions to explore its resources. Learn more.
- Florida Joint Center for Citizenship: Enrollment open for online PD series: The Civics Classroom. Learn more.
- National Archives: Mini-webinar series on using DocsTeach for remote learning. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: 2020-21 schedule for Constitutional Exchanges released. Learn more.
- National Archives: Summer and fall programs for K-12 students and educators in partnership with the Presidential Primary Sources Project. Learn more.
- NewseumED: Free virtual classes for educators. Learn more.
- National Archives: Summer webinar on presidential campaigns. Learn more.
- U.S. Courts: A new set of distance-learning activities. Learn more.