Constitution Day Teacher Toolkit
Just in time for your Constitution Day planning, the Civics Renewal Network has added more excellent resources to its Teacher Toolkit. You’ll find Constitution guides, videos, games, lessons and activities for all grade levels from our 33 partners.
For a complete list of Constitution resources, go here.
Redistricting & Gerrymandering
In this lesson from Street Law, students will learn how state legislatures and governors can manipulate the redistricting process to gain an advantage for their party in the U.S. House of Representatives and state legislatures. Students will learn what constitutes gerrymandering and the typical types of gerrymandering used. Students will role play state legislators and collaborate to draw both gerrymandered and not gerrymandered districts. Students will consider the foundational redistricting case Baker v. Carr (1962) and classify arguments made in the case. In addition, students will evaluate the proper role of the Supreme Court in state redistricting cases.
For more resources on redistricting, go here.
The Legislative Process
- National Archives: Register for its free recorded and live professional development webinars. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: Register for one of its free Saturday Seminars, which provide four PD hours. Learn more.
- National Constitution Center: Participate in its Constitutional Ambassadors program. Learn more.
- NewseumED: On October 5, NewseumED will hold its final fall open house at its Pennsylvania Avenue location. Learn more.
- NewseumED: Reserve one of its 11 free virtual classes. Learn more.
- NewseumED: Have students who would like to join its Student Advisory Team? Learn more.